Elwing's Flight

Thoughts from a girl as she flies over the sea.

Friday, June 24, 2005

Everyone run and hide...

The Rachieth Returneth!

Lol, that was for all the girls I used to email every day back in 10th grade. I LOVE YOU GIRLS!!!

I used to write about whatever popped into my mind. Hannah's chicken noises, Susanna's chainsaw snoring, my obsession with brownies (and, well, all chocolate for that matter), guys who need longer to bake, the evil socks in Kevin and Chris' closet, etc. So I think I'll try my best to write a "random email from Rache" again. Newsletter #1553 (since I already wrote Newsletter #1552).

I like Celtic music. If you hadn't already noticed. It's practically all I listen to anymore. Especially the dance songs. It's kind of interesting how Celtic music is always REALLY happy and bursting with joy and love or REALLY sad and depressing. Or VERY WEIRD. Like the song called "I Buried My Wife and Danced on Top of Her." It's really upbeat and joyful sounding, lol. And I guess when you've been around Celtic music all your life you get used to it, but I know of many wonderful songs out there about such different things as:

• Milking a cow.
• The conversation between a man and his mother right after he killed his father. And the mother's entire concern is for what wealth she acquires from him when he goes over the sea in penance.
• A beggar bragging about how great it is to be a beggar. (?!?)
• As the song says: "The age of 14, he was a married man. The age of 15; the father of a son. The age of 16, his grave it did grow green...." Very typical Celtic song right there.
• An ode to the "salmon of knowledge"... wow. That must be one smart fish.
• A girl who's begging her mother to let her go to the fair because she's in love with the shoemaker and wants to marry him... and she's only 10 years old.
• Open the door for the fiddling tailor! Because he's the king's son! So open the door for him! And that's practically all the words to the song!
• Alasdair son of Cholla was a gallant warrior, and all of Scotland is burning.
• Ri ri o ro, ri ri o ro, ri ri o ro. The chickens are squawking. Ri ri o ro, ri ri o ro. The older girl drowned the youngest in the pool of swans, ri ri o ro, and stole her lover for herself, ri ri o ro, ri ri o ro. We must feed the chickens, dear Maggie.


Lol, you get my point now, don't you? I love Celtic music though, anyway! And those are really just some of the songs, the weird ones (though I love those anyway). Others, like "The Mystic's Dream," or "Be Thou My Vision," or "Caoineadh Na Mhara/Amen," or "Our Wedding Day," are some of the most beautiful songs lyrically and musically in the world, IMHO.

Okay, you all are going to laugh at me, but something really funny just happened: I'm sitting here listening to music (Celtic, of course!), when I notice that there's only 40 songs in my music library on iTunes! Normally there are 1,744! So I totally start panicking. AAAAAUUUUUGGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!!! ALL MY MUSIC!!!!!!! GONE!!!!!!! Of course we have back-up, but it's for the other computer, so it's not as personalized. So I run down in a panic to Dad who's about to go to bed, looking very pale and scared. "DAD!" I whisper/scream, "THERE'S ONLY 40 SONGS IN MY ITUNES LIBRARY!!!" So he calmly tells me to bring the iBook down and show him, and lo and behold, I had typed some words in the "search" field and so it was only showing the songs relating to that search.

Oops. I felt really stupid. We had a pretty good laugh about it, though.

I'm going to do something that I haven't done in awhile. I'm going to work on my foreign language skills. J'aime parlant en français. Je l'apprendrai plus à l'université. J'ai oublié très beaucoup de cette langue belle, malheureusement. Alors, mes mots sont horribles.

Agus an Gàidhlig. 'S fìor thoil leam an Gàidhlig. Bha mi ag ionnsachadh i anns an sgoil am bliadhna, ach feumaidh mi tòrr a ionnsaich.

Melinyë i lambë Eldaron. Quenya ná i anvanya ilyë i lambëo. Melinyë quetes rimbavë. Tencenyë Valaquenta Quenyassë atta yéni yá. Nás lambë mára linden i elenion.

Okay, I'm glad I got that off my chest. I haven't done that in awhile, so thanks for putting up with me! That was French, Scottish Gaelic, and Quenya. And just so you know, Gaelic sounds NOTHING like how it looks, so don't even attempt to sound it out.

Last night was great. It was Breakaway's Informal Night Out and we went to some restaurants on Campus Corner. The food was okay, nothing special (except for the fried oreos. It's funny I liked them so much, considering my aversion to both grease and oreos!). The laughter and time with friends was what made it so great. By the way, WELCOME BACK STEPHEN! Okay, I've just got to say it: Matt and Katie brought these two ADORABLE 4-week-old kittens with them. I cannot describe how cute they were. I was dying from cuteness. But anyway, it made me really sad since I'm allergic to kittens. Not like Sara—she breaks out in hives and stuff. I just get itchy all over and occasionally asthma. Oh and when I get scratched it swells up to the size of Mt. Everest. But eventually I just gave up and HAD to hold one. It was so precious! I would so get a cat if I could... I love cats (sorry all you dog-lovers, but I do). Sigh... it makes me sad.

The good thing was I didn't have much of a problem with allergies afterwards, for some crazy reason. Yay!

Oh, tomorrow we're going out to eat with some people I haven't seen since I was like, 5. One of the guys' names is Grady, and I still remember him. He's the one I always used to call "Gravy."

OH! One more thing before I go! I feel so darn proud of myself! I was watching that acappella guys' dance in Riverdance, the one with all the thunder and lightning that is SO DARN COOL and so fast I can't even tell what moves they're doing most of the time (that is seriously one of the most amazing dances in the entire show from the perspective of an Irish dancer!). Well, anyway, there's this one move they do that makes a really cool rhythm with a neat little heel click stuck in there somewhere. I had always wished I could do that, so I watched it over and over, and finally sort of figured out my own best guess of what it might be! It's so awesome! Now I just need to make up a dance to put it in, lol.

GOODBYE SARA AND LORA!! I'll miss y'all! I love you girls!! See ya next week!

Well, I'm off into the wide blue yonder for now (a.k.a. bedtime). I'm really tired. Even though I slept in until 11 this morning. That's really strange because I don't sleep in that late very often. I have an internal alarm clock that usually wakes me up at 8:30 at the latest, but recently it hasn't been working, I guess. But anyway... I love you all! Goodnight!

Rache

11 Comments:

  • At 6/25/2005 12:35 AM, Blogger Herohtar said…

    Yay! Celtic music is awesome!!

    What? You only have 1,744 songs? I have 2,689. :-P :-D

    I so wish I had some kind of Mac... something more than the broken one that is in my garage. :-(

    Okay, I can translate the French, but not the Gaelic and Quenya... can you give me those in English? Or do they say pretty much the same thing?

    w00t! Yes! Cats are totally the best!

    Heh, my internal alarm clock doesn't even start to go off until noon, and even then it's hard to hear.

     
  • At 6/25/2005 12:49 AM, Blogger Rachel said…

    I didn't know you knew French! Cool! My grammar is atrocious since I haven't studied it for at least a year, but hopefully that'll change this fall.

    Okay, I'll translate all three (just in case someone can't read the French):

    French: I love to speak in French (oops, I just realized I really messed the grammar up on that! Oh well...) I will learn more of it in college. I've forgotten a whole lot of this beautiful language, unfortunately. So, my words are horrible.

    Gaelic: And Gaelic. I really love Gaelic. I learned it in school this year, but I need to learn a lot more.

    Quenya Elvish: I love the language of the Elves. Quenya is the most beautiful of all the languages. I love to speak it a lot. I wrote the Valaquenta in Quenya two years ago. It's a good language to sing about the stars.

     
  • At 6/25/2005 8:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Thank you Rachel! It's nice to know I'm not the only person in the world who does goofy, explainable stuff on their computer, then freaks out when they don't know what they did. Happens to me all the time. Computers have a way of making me look very blonde.

    I didn't know you spoke French and Gaelic. Cool!

    My internal alarm clock has been off too. I think it has some thing to do with school being out.

     
  • At 6/25/2005 11:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Funny, my internal alarm clock is off, too. This morning it got mean. After days of leaving me entirely alone until noon, it woke me up a little before I'd planned, then watched as I heard a faint click I didn't quite know what was, and finally laughed as I was bombarded by the rings of an external alarm clock I'd deliberately placed halfway across the room.

     
  • At 6/25/2005 11:28 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Rachel, what program did you use to learn Gaelic and what did you think of it? I am looking for a program for Irish.

     
  • At 6/25/2005 12:52 PM, Blogger Rachel said…

    Hi William!

    Estel, I used Teach Yourself Gaelic. I think we got it at Barnes and Noble or something like that. But anyway, they have about half a million languages, including Irish, Welsh and Finnish (I want to learn all three sometime in my life!). They also have Bengali, Croatian, Icelandic, Panjabi, Persian, Serbian, Tagalog, Urdu, Zulu, and Xhosa, whatever that is. The names alone are pretty cool sounding!

    But anyway, since I have only worked through one of their language programs, I can't tell you how any of the others would be, but I do know that I REALLY enjoyed the Gaelic one and it was very well written, probably the easiest language for me so far! They way they teach in the Gaelic book makes it very easy for me to learn.

     
  • At 6/25/2005 12:53 PM, Blogger Rachel said…

    Oh, just to clarify: the Teach Yourself company has more languages than that, but I was just listing some of the more interesting-sounding ones. :D

     
  • At 6/25/2005 7:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Oh, Rachel, I forgot to mention, I'm taking French this year, too! Apparently it's one of the main languages physics research is written in. By the way, Xhosa is the language a tribe in Africa. I found this out while researching for a paper on peer pressure (don't ask).

     
  • At 6/26/2005 2:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Okey-doke. Thanks for the recommendation, Rachel. The Norman library actually has the Teach Yourself Welsh book. I seem to be the only one who's not learning French....

     
  • At 6/26/2005 2:17 PM, Blogger Herohtar said…

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

     
  • At 6/26/2005 2:19 PM, Blogger Herohtar said…

    Rachel: Well, actually, I just have a really nice extension for Firefox that translates it for me. :-D The only language I could translate on my own is Spanish, and I'm still not very good at that. Unfortunately, I will most likely not be taking any foreign languages in college... Engineering and all... :-\

     

Post a Comment

<< Home