Elwing's Flight

Thoughts from a girl as she flies over the sea.

Wednesday, June 15, 2005

Oh, Mexico...

Mexico
James Taylor

Way down here you need a reason to move
Feel a fool running your stateside games
Lose your load, leave your mind behind

Oh, Mexico
It sounds so simple I just got to go
The sun's so hot I forgot to go home
Guess I'll have to go now

"Americano" got the sleepy eye
But his body's still shaking like a live wire
Sleepy "Señorita" with the eyes on fire

Oh, Mexico
It sounds so sweet with the sun sinking low
Moon's so bright like to light up the night
Make everything all right


I stole the lyrics from Stephen, lol. If he minds, then I'll just have to get out my hardshoes (oh wait, that just works on Kevin... I don't know if it would work on Stephen since he hasn't seen what they can do!)

But anyway, I love that song... it paints a picture of this last week. I'll give you all a big post later with all the cool stories and adventures that we had so many of. I can hardly begin to describe to you how awesome this mission trip was. I can't wait to attempt it, though! But meanwhile, I'll explain why this song fits so perfectly.

"Way down here you need a reason to move
Feel a fool running your stateside games
Lose your load, leave your mind behind"

When we were down there, it was down to the grit. All the other motives fell away (for the most part, that is), and God became our true reason for moving. We left the foolish games of the comfortable. When we did that, when we experienced the reality of life in most of the world, and when we did it for God and helped others, it was incredibly freeing. We lost the burden of the mindset of the rich.

"'Americano' got the sleepy eye
But his body's still shaking like a live wire
Sleepy "Señorita" with the eyes on fire"

Toward the end of the week, especially, we all got pretty tired, but God lifted us up on eagle's wings. Not only did he give me strength, but joy, too, in the work. I was on fire for Him this week, but I don't exactly know if that could be seen in my eyes! I'd hope so. Another thing this verse reminds me of is how even though we'd be tired every night (REALLY tired toward the end of the week), we'd all stay up late being crazy... actually just being ourselves. ;)

"Oh, Mexico
It sounds so sweet with the sun sinking low
Moon's so bright like to light up the night
Make everything all right"

This reminds me of all those times, whether in Tekax or Cancún or elsewhere, when I soaked up the beauty of God's creation. All those times looking up at the bright sliver of the moon... watching the sunset with stormclouds everywhere but where we were in the poor outskirts of Cancún... picking out constellations in a sky filled with jewels at the top of the hill in Tekax... singing through my tears to the God of hope beyond the stars that spun over the railing of the mission... watching purple twilight set in over white sand and a turquoise sea... staring in awe and wonder at the power of God in the waves of the ocean crashing at my feet and the dark sky full of endless stars above.

That was beautiful, seeing the ocean at night again. I felt so small. So powerless. The ocean is so strong. It seemed to go on forever. I felt so small against it. I have no control at all over the waves, and it could easily crush me in its depths. And the night sky... so many billions upon billions of stars in billions upon billions of galaxies... it's so big. And I couldn't stand up to it, either. Not even a chance against either of them. But God is bigger than they are, and He is the one that spins the stars and orchestrates the waves, and He's also the one who creates the symphonies of our lives. So it's okay. I'm okay. It's good to be small. It's more than okay, because this same God loves us beyond comprehension. What a beautiful mystery! So I sang Amazing Grace.

And now I am so tired that the room is spinning. I think I'd better go to bed now! Hasta luego.

6 Comments:

  • At 6/16/2005 5:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Welcome Back!!!

    You changed your picture background thing and stuff. I like. Pretty and eye-friendly. :-)

     
  • At 6/16/2005 6:13 PM, Blogger Rachel said…

    Thanks! Were you ever able to see the old picture? Some people weren't, I heard, which was sad because it was really beautiful.

     
  • At 6/17/2005 11:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey Rachel! Glad you're back. Sounds like you had a great trip.

     
  • At 6/17/2005 12:31 PM, Blogger £l §tévó said…

    Hey, I guess I'll just have to let the lyrics slide... I don't wanna find out what your hardshoes can do, lol. It's awesome that you can read so much into that. I agree with evrything you said though I don't think I could have put it so eloquently. That was truly a great trip in so many ways.

     
  • At 6/17/2005 10:57 PM, Blogger frisbeegurl said…

    Yeah I know what you mean about the beach on the last night... Man I was reminded over and over of the song only hope. The second verse.. I LOVE IT!! It goes,
    "Sing to me of the song of the stars, of your galaxies dancing and laughing and laughing again.. It goes on for a ways but the stars that night.. just made me think of that!! I sometimes think.. especially that night.. that God likes to mock us with His might.. and his.. bigness hehe... Not in a bad way of course.. But just to remind us of how big.. and beautiful and powerful He is. I think He really uses the sea and the stars to do this.. That's what that song reminds me of too haha.. I don't know lol.. Ahh but I'll never forget that night... By the way.. that was awesome what you did with the song I liked reading how you split it up into our trip.. to define it.

     
  • At 6/18/2005 11:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Yeah, I saw the old picture. I liked it too. :o)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home