Elwing's Flight

Thoughts from a girl as she flies over the sea.

Sunday, June 26, 2005

Tea and Sympathy

Just noticed something I had to tell y'all! I'm listening to my favorite Jars of Clay cd, Much Afraid. A line in the song Tea and Sympathy said: "...All your words fall to the floor and break like china cups." Well, that reminds me of one of my favorite poems (rather depressing, though!), by Emily Dickinson (a poet I really like). I thought I'd share it with you:

"It dropped so low in my regard"

It dropped so low in my regard
I heard it hit the ground,
And go to pieces on the stones
At bottom of my mind;

Yet blamed the fate that fractured, less
Than I reviled myself
For entertaining plated wares
Upon my silver shelf.

I have no idea why I thought of that, but I just randomly decided to share it with y'all!

Here's the names (or rather, first lines) of some of my other favorite poetry by her, in case you want to look it up (a good site is http://www.bartleby.com/113). One or two of them are pretty depressing, I'll warn you, but what I love about her poetry is that the imagery is beyond what I always thought words could describe.
"I stepped from plank to plank"
"Father, I bring thee not myself"
"They dropped like flakes, they dropped like stars"
"It was not death, for I stood up" (this is the depressing one, but read it anyway just for the imagery!)
"The cricket sang"
"A thought went up my mind to-day"
"The moon was but a chin of gold"
"If you were coming in the fall"
"The wind begun to rock the grass"

Good stuff! Come to think of it, that's one of the reasons I like Jars of Clay songs so much in the first place... the amazing imagery. It's like poetry. It IS poetry!

6 Comments:

  • At 6/29/2005 11:17 AM, Blogger Rachel said…

    Yay!! Someone else appreciates poetry! That makes me happy....

    Yeah, the "I stepped from plank to plank" poem is sooo good! It really would be perfect for the beginning (or end!) of a book.

     
  • At 6/29/2005 4:34 PM, Blogger Herohtar said…

    Hey, I appreciate poetry too. :-P I just didn't have anything to say about it.

     
  • At 6/30/2005 12:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I appreciate poetry too. I'm just new to the whole commenting thing, so I have trouble starting a set.

     
  • At 7/02/2005 7:06 PM, Blogger frisbeegurl said…

    Yay I really like that song!! And I LOVE that cd!! That was awesome

     
  • At 7/03/2005 12:14 AM, Blogger Rachel said…

    Hannah, I found the book you were talking about today, and it only has half of the poem! You need to read the second half too. It makes a lot more sense! I don't know why they did that... oh well.

    Yeah, Sara, that cd ROCKS! My favorite song is Hymn... but you already knew that, lol. It's just too good.

     
  • At 7/13/2005 6:07 PM, Blogger frisbeegurl said…

    ME TOO!! I LOVE THAT SONG SOOOOOOOOOOOOO much!!!!!!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home